This recipe is adapted from Fabio Viviani (some guy on the internet).
Italian Wedding Soup
Adapted from a recipe by Fabio Viviani (some guy on the internet).
½ cup (to taste) extra virgin olive oil (I actually just used a splash of olive oil to get the veggies started. ½ cup is too much.
2 cup carrots, diced
2 cup yellow onion, diced
2 cup celery, diced
1 lb. ground beef (80/20) + 1 lb mild Italian sausage
2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
6 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and Pepper to taste
6 quarts chicken broth
3 cups fresh baby spinach (I just used the whole bag, not sure how much. Escarole is supposed to be good in here, too.)
Dried basil-a few sprinkles
2 cups orzo pasta
- Saute carrots, onion and celery in oil until soft and starting to brown.
- While veggies sauté, make the meatballs: mix beef, sausage, eggs, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, salt and pepper in a separate mixing bowl. Form into ½ inch balls, and set on a baking sheet.
- Cook meatballs on the baking sheet in 375F degree oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach to the sautéing veggies and let it wilt.
- Add chicken stock to veggies. Let the mixture reduce on high heat.
- When meatballs are cooked, add them to the soup.
- Boil 5 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta separately, then add it to each bowl.